OVER 18’s ONLY
We are very excited to be holding a full day Voice/Accent workshop with the exceptional Actress & Voice Coach Natalie Grady.
SATURDAY 28th October 9:30am till 5pm (we may run over)
OLD GRANADA STUDIOS
This one day intensive course is aimed at actors looking to further their training and enhance their knowledge of accents.
We will look particularly at RP and Standard American as these are the accents that Natalie is mostly asked for. We will also have a look at the New York and Southern States accents and discuss the difference between a relaxed RP and the more heightened sound.
Working from an RP template, actors will also learn how to profile accents themselves, covering Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Newcastle, London and more. The workshop will culminate in maintaining the accents when acting. We will use a variety of scripts and aim to film some scenes to cover camera technique and voice record some scenes to experience the world of radio and voice-over. A jam packed day!
The highlights from the workshop
• Working from an RP template, study vowel and consonant placement using the International Phonetic Alphabet.
• Learn how to profile an accent yourselves.
• Develop an awareness of the physical and auditory clues to look out for when working on an accent.
• Study the rhythms, stresses, intonation patterns and tunes of accents.
• Profile the Standard American, New York and Southern States accents.
• Gain confidence in acting in the accents by practicing maintaining a chosen accent with text. We will use a variety of scenes from British and American drama. We will then work on performing these texts both for radio and camera.
• Receive direction and feedback in relation to the performance of text and how to proceed with further work on the accents. Feedback and direction will also incorporate camera technique.
Practical exercises and activities will require participants to wear comfortable, loose clothing. Please bring a notepad and pen. You will also need to bring a laptop with a CD drive. Please let us know in advance if you do not have a computer with a disk drive.
Natalie is an experienced stage and screen actress and can regularly be heard on Radio 4 dramas. Alongside an illustrious acting career, she has been working as a voice coach for several years. She teaches voice at various leading Universities and Drama Schools.
Natalie has worked as voice coach on numerous theatre productions including Hoard Festival, Seeing The Lights and Beryl for New Vic theatre; La Vie Parisienne and Street Scene at RNCM; Two and Two 2 at Bolton Octagon; Beggars Opera at Storyhouse Theatre, Tractors in Ukranian at Hull Truck Theatre; she assisted as voice coach with the 9 young company members on the Uk tour of To Kill A Mockingbird and at the Barbican in London.
Her work is influenced by the masters of voice she has worked with over the years, including Cecily Berry at the RSC, Barbara Houseman at Regents Park and Jeanette Nelson at the National Theatre.
Natalie is the founder and director of My Accent Guide, the online company that specialises in accents and voice production.